We’re here to answer your questions!
- How Can Neurofeedback Work Successfully On So Many Conditions?
- Emotional health issues (anxiety, depression, ADHD, PTSD, etc.) are often caused by imbalanced brain function, which can be directly linked to dysregulated brainwaves. Neurofeedback works on many conditions because it brings brainwaves back to healthy regulation. A healthy regulated brain is a happy brain! Through multiple neurofeedback sessions, your brainwaves are re-trained into normal healthy patterns. The result is an improvement in brain function, which then impacts a wide variety of emotional health issues.
- Is Neurofeedback Safe?
- Yes! Neurofeedback is safe because it is non-invasive, painless, requires no drugs and does not produce any ionizing radiation like a CT scan or X-ray. The goal of neurofeedback is to identify irregular brainwave patterns and make very subtle corrections. With multiple sessions, the brain will learn to self-regulate.
- Are Drugs Needed?
- No. Neurofeedback does not require anything more than your attention for 30 minutes per session.
- A Brain Map Sounds Scary. Does It Hurt?
- Absolutely not! Just as an EKG measures the electrical activity of your heart, a brain map is simply a surface scan of your which picks up the electrical impulses we call brainwaves. This is a simple twelve-minute assessment that uses conductive paste to get an accurate reading. Adults and children are able to complete brain mapping with ease.
- Why Haven’t I heard of Neurofeedback Before?
- Neurofeedback has been around since the 1950’s and backed by decades of scientific research. With the recent advancements in computer technology, Neurofeedback has been able to move from laboratory research to a system that can be administered in an office setting.
Call (941) 552-4500 Take the first step to a better you!
New Client 30 Minute Complimentary Consultation (in person or by video call) – $100 value
2020 Year-End Special – NO CHARGE!
Limited Availability – Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation Now!
Call The Brain Wave Center or Schedule online.
- How Long Do Neurofeedback Sessions Take?
- Each session usually lasts 30 minutes.
- What Happens During A Neurofeedback Session?
- Neurofeedback sessions involve watching a movie of your choice for 30 minutes while being in a relaxed state of mind. Sensors monitor your brainwaves during the session. When irregular patterns are detected, a response is triggered from the software that dims the video and fades the audio in and out or music. This response will automatically cause you to change your focus which will move your brainwaves back into normal ranges. With repetition of this process over multiple sessions, your brain can learn to stay within healthy ranges on its own without neurofeedback.
- What Benefits Do People Experience FromNeurofeedback?
- Neurofeedback helps to improve concentration, short-term memory, speech, motor skills, sleep, energy level, and emotional balance. Results will vary from person to person. Some feel different within a couple of sessions. More chronic & severe conditions such as depression will take many sessions to see noticeable results.
- How Long Will The Effects Of Neurofeedback Last?
- Long term follow-ups hasve been done on many patients over the years. Dr. Joel Lubar at the University of Tennessee has followed ADD clients who’ve sustained their improvements from neurofeedback for 10-20 years. There is also research which confirms the long-term effects of neurofeedback on persons with epilepsy. Creators of the Clear Mind System have commonly reported no relapses from patients after 10 years.
- Can I Use Neurofeedback While On Medication?
- Yes you can start neurofeedback while on your medications. As you progress, your physician may suggest that you slowly reduce or eliminate medications related to the condition that you are addressing with neurofeedback. Since every individual is unique, the decision to reduce medication will be up to your physician. More research is needed on this, but a common theory is that the same dosage seems to have a stronger effect on a more efficient brain.
- Can Neurofeedback Cause Negative Effects?
- If used improperly, it is possible to see worsening of symptoms. That is to be expected from any therapy or system that can produce such positive changes. It all comes down to training and proper use. Fortunately, each session is designed to create small changes in brainwave activity. Should any problems arise, they can be spotted and corrected before they become bigger. Our clinic has extensive training on this equipment and can change protocols as needed if negative effects are seen.
- Can Neurofeedback Help With ADD And ADHD?
- Recent research suggests that individuals with ADD/ADHD tend to have elevated theta brainwave activity and low levels of beta brainwave activity. Symptoms of ADD/ADHD are usually reduced when brainwave activity is changed. Neurofeedback is commonly used as an adjunct or alternative treatment to medication and behavior management.
- How Much Research Is There On Neurofeedback?
- Neurofeedback has been around for decades. To date there are thousands of studies, with more being published every day. This site has a comprehensive list of studies on neurofeedback for many conditions.